Sunday, March 8, 2009

Planting a field of Alfalfa

Soaring feed costs!! $28 - $35 dollars a bale. Help! What can a horse person do. Nobody is buying horses. Ok, time to grow our own hay!
My goal is to reduce my feed bill by 1/3. I do not want to feed my horses a pure alfalfa diet. Currently they get 5 pounds of alfalfa cubes a day. The rest of their diet is 21 pounds of orchard grass. The reason I feed this way is often we will have a shipping strike and only alfalfa will be available.
I was surprised to find that many cattle business's are growing fresh cut hay. Often feeding #80 per milk cow per day. The hay must be grown close to its daily destination as fresh cut hay does not last more than a day. The sooner it is fed after cutting the better. My friend had a small 20X20 foot alfalfa plot she fed her horse daily from years ago. She lived a mile up the road. Kula Maui has a wonderful growing climate. At 2,000 feet in elevation the nightly temperature is in the 50's. Days 70-80 degrees.
I researched alfalfa seed and settled on Amerigrass 721. A alfalfa designed for the Southwestern States: Calif, AZ and New Mexico. Hybridized to grow with a bigger leaf, nematode resistant, aphid and crown rot resistant.
2 days ago Dad got on his trusty old kubota and made the first pass across the field. 1/4 acre experimental plot. I followed helping remove old roots. Dad used the bucket to rip the stubborn roots up.
Yesterday he made another pass over the field. The beautiful dark red Hawaiian dirt looks great.
Now with rain beginning yesterday we will let the weeds grow for a week or so and roto-till them in prior to planting. Dad wants to roto till in some manuer too. We have lots of that! I will get some pictures soon.

No comments: