Wednesday, October 22, 2008

SHARKS are soooo AWESOME




Remember when "JAWS" was shown and you didn't get in the ocean for at least a year afterwards.
Then when we were out sailing off Waikiki Dad would ask if we wanted to go in the water and get towed behind the boat. Yes we 3 sisters cryed! We would dive into the cobalt blue with rays of light shimmering in the depth. 5 minutes of fun and then Dad would say, was that a shark? Heads whipping left and right we would start the hand over hand rush toward the stern only to realize Dad was playing out the line further. Needless to say my exposure to Sharks was a one sided fear based media portrayal.

Until Stefanie took me out on her shark boat off Haliewa last year and again this year for my birthday. Sharks are so, so awesome. Dive with the Sharks in the morning and ride your horse in the afternoon - what a life. If I had never done the shark cage dive I never would have realised how awesome sharks are.

"Keep your hands inside the cage" I guess I selectively did not hear this. I touched a Tiger shark and a Sandbar shark. So soft, like touching a baby's skin. They are so graceful and powerful at the same time. I could watch them all day long. IF you ever get to Oahu you have to go out on Stef's boat.
Save the Sharks! http://www.sharkallies.com/ Stefanie's misssion to save the sharks






No comments: